Piracy

August 09, 2011



Piracy is a pretty hotly debated topic, semi-combining with other issues involving the internet. Most of the time you never really see me writing much these days, I thought I would write up a rather strongly opinioned article about my stand on piracy.

Just so we're clear, we're talking about internet or copyright piracy.... not the "Ahoey Matey" type. (Humour)

Dictionary.com states that Piracy has three meanings. The first meaning actual pirates... like I said before the "Shiver me timbers" kind... so that's irrelevant. Anyway this is that Dictionary.com says about copyright piracy:

piracy [pahy-ruh-see]
The unauthorized reproduction or use of a copyrighted book, recording, television program, patented invention, trademarked product, etc.

I'll be focusing on video-game, movie, and mostly media-based piracy in this article... so let's begin. Obviously for media someone has to make it; this is the first side of piracy, the people who make songs, make movies, and create games. And then there are those whom pirate such things, individuals including myself.

The people who make media-content, their main "side" is that piracy is the equivalent of stealing. That original content creators deserve to get paid (Think starving singers) I mean I'm assuming most of you have seen the ad for piracy right? The one with the "You wouldn't steal a car would you?". (This is the most common/ general argument that the government/producers make)

Now for the other side: the pirates. Their main argument (main, not all pirates use the same argument) is that piracy involves copying files... which means that nothing is technically stolen since the original still exists. And other than that piracy usually supports the fact that it's a "sharing" wonderland and that content should be free.

Click Read More to view the full article.



"Government" Main Points

  • Piracy is stealing. Copyrighted material is the same as any other good, and "pirating" is the equivalent of stealing any other good.
  • The "petty" argument; the fact that pirating causes loss of income or loss of potential revenue. (Losing money)
  • A continuation of the "petty" argument; singers, artists, and other media-creators die of hunger if you don't buy their stuff (I know I over-exaggerated.. but they do it too)

"Government" Main Points

  • Piracy is stealing. Copyrighted material is the same as any other good, and "pirating" is the equivalent of stealing any other good.
  • The "petty" argument; the fact that pirating causes loss of income or loss of potential revenue. (Losing money)
  • A continuation of the "petty" argument; singers, artists, and other media-creators die of hunger if you don't buy their stuff (I know I over-exaggerated.. but they do it too)
"Pirates" Main Points

  • A almost utopian or communist-like point of view where there is a great emphasis that the world should   share everything.
  • The assertive point of view where piracy is just stealing, some embrace this ideal and pirate software/music/media regardless of point of view.
  • The most popular belief (In my opinion) and the most sensible as well; the fact that software and media are not conventional goods, since piracy is plainly copying that nothing is actually stolen in the process.

Just to go over briefly, the entire article is just filled with personal opinion, so don't take it too seriously.

Ideally, in a "short" minded manner. I just pirate in terms of convenience. I would call myself a semi-average pirate. My operating system is Windows 7 and I have never purchased a legal copy of any OS ever in my life.  The most frequent types of files I download are HD movies, HD TV shows, and games. A undeniable fact is that most pirate-sites utilize P2P (Peer-to-Peer) which in short allows demand to meet supply. If I got some weird craving for a 20 year-old movie or a 10-year old game I think I would have a hard time finding it in legal ways.

In some ways I do agree with the fact that copying files is defiantly not stealing. But at the same time, I do understand that developers and producers can be unpaid if their goods were free. I actually don't pirate much during recent times, maybe one or two games occasionally a month or two; maybe a movie or three a month as well. I am a avid user of Steam, since it has such a wide library and most, if not all games have great compatibility with existing systems. This is the solution in a sense; a man would not rob without reason if he is adequately satisfied (Be it food, goods, women... whatever) but strip the man of his "WHATEVER" and he will most likely resort to crime. (The plot of many movies?) If there is a legal option of convenience which would  compete with piracy, there would be more to fight with. I mean what's the point of pirating things if the legal alternative is just as good, or better?

The solution for the "government" would be to just rule with a iron fist and stamp out piracy, but since internet piracy is closely related to hackers/hacking and other various technological guru's.. it would be a war they would regret. Aside from that, they could start offering competitive services to fight piracy, and not jacking up their prices.

Overall I think that the "Pirates" of today thinking that "Sharing is Caring" and those sorts of things are just like kids. I think it's the same as being stuck in a fairytale, the same as dreaming about no wars or bloodshed; not only is it inevitably impossible.. it is futile in every way possible.

While this "dream" of sharing content freely does sound great (I'm not disagreeing with that) I do realize that it is what it is; a dream. Staying realistic, and while keeping a subjectivist attitude; I would say that piracy is something I do out of "trail". Most of the time after I pirate things, I actually buy media which I thoroughly enjoyed. Granted, I don't buy or support most of the things I torrent, but by heck when I do fall in love for a piece of software, I really thank the superb ease of access/availability which piracy offers.


TLDR:
I am a pirate. I pirate software, videos, and music. I know my place and that both sides of the debate have sound arguments. I use piracy as almost a "trial" service and usually end up buying products which I thoroughly enjoyed, although not all the time. I'm not saying this is right, but I do it regardless because of how easy you can access products via piracy. Piracy is a wonderful thing, a dream of sharing ideas and everything above; but like the government says... we have to "pirate" in moderation and make sure we do it responsibly.

Other than that...
Pirates rule! ARGGH MATEY!